Inspired by the nomadic influences in Kimberly Ovitz’s collection, Hair Director Antoinette Beenders for Aveda created this natural textured braid.
How to get the look
- Use a volumising product and blow dry your hair straight.
- Create a section at the top of the head by parting hair along the parietal ridge on both sides and securing at the top of the head with a clip. (as in image above)
- Spray hair that is down on each side of the head liberally with hairspray to coat, focusing from root to mid-length.
- Brush coated hair back and against the head for sleek sides.
- Pulling those sides back, divide the hair at the back of the head into two sections and braid into two loose fishtails. Back-comb the end of each braid to secure.
- Release the clip at the top of the head and coat with hairspray, brushing hair toward the back of the head.
- Gently massage fishtails to loosen and create texture.
- Loosely braid the two fishtails and slicked back ends from the top of the head together and secure with a clear elastic, bringing the end of the braid to a point.
- Pin the top of the braid to the neck to secure.
- Use a shine spray over the slicked-back top section and smooth back with a kabuki brush to create a glossy finish.
Antoinette used Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep, Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray and Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine to create this look.
I’m so inspired by this look for my braid hairstyle challenge. Where would you wear this braid?Images by Jon Gurinsky for Aveda