Ever wanted to see what you’d look like with short hair?
Try this faux bob tutorial to test it out before going for the big chop.
This big bob tutorial is one from my archives but was never published in full on hair romance. It’s similar to my other faux bob tutorial but this tutorial takes it to a bigger place.
If you have fine hair, or just love big hair, this is for you.
Big faux bob hairstyle tutorial
What you need:
- Teasing comb or brush
- Hairspray and / or volume powder
- Hair elastic
- Bobby pins
- Separate the top section of your hair from ear to ear and clip it up out of the way.
- Braid the underneath section across and continue to plait all of the hair. Twist the braid around and pin into a flat bun.
Tip: If you can’t braid you can just twist your hair around into a tight bun.
- Unclip the top section of your hair and get your teasing comb ready! Using a fine comb or small brush, backcomb your hair. Take small sections starting at the front and work back until your hair is huge and looks crazy! You’ll need all the volume you can get to make your faux bob big!
Tip: Focus on teasing at the roots and midlengths of your hair. Volume hair powder is your secret weapon to creating Big Bob. Sprinkle it on your roots and gently massage it in with your fingertips – it really does give your hair an instant lift!
- Carefully comb the outer layer of your hair down to gently smooth the top of your hair.
- Gather your hair into a low ponytail using a small, clear elastic.
- Tuck the end of your ponytail up and into the bottom of the style so that it’s hidden, and pin it in place.
- Look for any loose layers and pin in place underneath. You can leave a few pieces loose at the front if you like.
- Go bigger than you think – the secret to getting the volume right is to go bigger than you think. Backcomb your hair until it looks ridiculous and then you can smooth the top down.
- Be gentle – When you’re backcombing your hair, work slowly and gently. If you’re rough you can cause damage to your hair but move gently and you’ll be fine. When you want to take this style out, I recommend using a leave in conditioner spray to soften your hair. This makes it easier to brush out. Alternatively, jump in the shower and comb it out with lots of conditioner.
- Product tips – Finish with a spritz of hairspray to tidy up any loose flyaways. Volume powder is your secret weapon for getting huge volume and hold at the roots.
This big bob tutorial is your friend if you want to try a short hair style without the worry of losing all your lovely long locks. With its retro tones, this style changes with how you wear it.
Have you gone for the big chop? How do you style your bob?